Meet Chef Romana Hussain, owner of The Bake Studio. A pastry chef at Masala TV, Romana also holds the title of regional editor of FoodFair USA under her belt. Take a peek at Romana’s Instagram page to take stock of her diverse culinary talents. Fish pie, roast chicken and crispy fish are among some of her signature dishes to name a few. Here, she shares a recipe of her buttermilk fried chicken. This unique savoury dish combines tender chicken with flavourful spices and buttermilk to produce a satisfyingly delicious taste. It is one delectable meal that you can cook when you want to indulge yourself and your loved ones and give them a treat.
For the Marinade
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
For the Breading
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes.
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
3-4 cups vegetable oil, for cooking
To marinate the chicken
- In a bowl combine the chicken tenders with the listed marinade ingredients. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated with buttermilk and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
To make the breading
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chilli pepper along with chilli flakes. Whisk until well blended. Add the buttermilk and stir with a fork until the mixture is evenly clumpy.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the marinade a few pieces at a time and toss into the breading mixture. Be sure to press the chicken firmly into the breading so that the clumps stick to the meat.
- Fry gently until golden.
- 2 1/2 lbs potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes), boiled and mashed.
- 1 cup cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup all- purpose flour
- Butter to brush on the waffle iron.
- Season the boiled and mashed potato,
- Mix all the ingredients together and form flat potato patties.
- Heat the waffle iron and brush with a little butter. Place the potato patty in the hot iron and cook until crispy.