Calories: 647 kCal
Cooking and Prep Time: 35 minutes
Chicken Parmesan easily classifies as a classic loved by all. Thankfully, it’s extremely easy to make and just fancy enough for dinner parties, but not too fancy that you cannot have it on a regular night.
Chicken Parm is definitely one of our most favourite dishes. It’s cheesy, delicious, mouth-watering and oh-so-delicious. We guarantee that this recipe is the real deal and has to become your go-to. Breaded chicken breasts cooked up in a marinara sauce, topped with copious amounts of cheese and served on top of spaghetti. Of course, for an added element of deliciousness, we recommend adding a layer of bechamel sauce between the chicken and cheese, a trick you’ll only find here!
So, the big question is, how do you cook your chicken evenly? Nobody wants to eat dry or uncooked chicken, so how do we get it just right? A big part of why this recipe works is the thinness of the chicken. Take two large chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each), cut them in half lengthwise (butterfly), and then pound them to even thickness (about 1/2 inch thick).
Chicken Parmesan is always served with spaghetti, but if you’re looking for alternatives, you can serve it with garlic bread, vegetables, or even a baguette. If you’re done and have any leftovers (which we doubt) you can always freeze it for later.
- 2 large chicken breasts butterflied
- Plastic Wrap
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced
- spaghetti pasta and crusty bread for serving
- 26 ounces 1 jar Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise (butterfly), creating 4 chicken cutlets
- Place chicken on a smooth flat surface between two layers of the Reynolds Kitchens Quick Cut Plastic Wrap and pound to even thickness, about 1/4-1/2 inch.
- Season each chicken cutlet with salt and pepper on both sides
- Whisk two eggs in a small shallow bowl, and mix together the breadcrumbs, panko, and 3/4 cup parmesan cheese in another shallow bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Dredge the chicken in eggs and then in the parmesan mixture. Add each cutlet to the oil/garlic mixture, leaving a bit of space in between.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until chicken is almost completely cooked through. Add more olive oil if needed. Remove chicken. Turn off the heat.
- Add half the jar of sauce to the bottom of the skillet, stirring to add in the brown bits and garlic
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, on top of the sauce. Top with an additional spoonful of sauce per chicken, and then top with 2 slices of cheese per chicken, the remaining grated parmesan, and sliced basil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned and beginning to bubble
- Serve over spaghetti and enjoy!
Try more such recipes here