They say it’s the potato, we digress, in our humble opinion it is actually the egg that is the eligible bachelor of the kitchen. Unparalleled in terms of its versatility, it can easily merge, combine, blend and bake with ingredients of all hues, textures, shape and colours! It provides the ideal safety net when one is running out of ideas- and time to plan breakfast, lunch or dinner. Serve it scrambled, fried, poached or baked- the end result never disappoints! This unique omelette recipe by Rafia M. of rafmazcooks combines the best of both worlds, it can either be partaken at the breakfast or tea table with all the works or eaten as a quick grab n’ go option en route to work. Tomatoes, spinach, cheese and olives add a Mediterranean feel and work their magic into this creamy, succulent delight.“Not your baker next door” rafmazcooks offers a plethora of earthly delights that taste like manna from heaven. From melt in your mouth cookie dough to chicken and mushroom pesto pasta with homemade whole wheat fettuccine and every yummilicious treat that falls in between, check out her Instagram page and place your orders to fire up that party menu!
Yields: 6 large/10 mini muffins
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup mixed chopped vegetables (We used tomatoes, spinach & olives)
- ¼ cup chopped cured meat (We used chicken pepperoni)
- ½ cup shredded cheese (We used a mix of mozzarella & cheddar slices)
- ½ cup scallions (or chopped green onions)
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- A dash of milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dried herbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Generously grease a muffin (or mini muffin) pan with melted butter/oil and set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a large bowl. Use a hand whisk to beat them lightly.
- Combine the vegetables, meat, cheese & scallions with the beaten egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the melted butter, milk, baking powder, salt, pepper & dried herbs (optional). Mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Use a tablespoon to carefully pour the mixture into the lined muffin pan. Fill each cup to the brim.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until well cooked at the centre.
- Let it cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a butter knife & serve.
- Use any combination of vegetables you have at hand. Onions, tomatoes, spinach, olives & mushrooms work well.
- A variety of protein options can be used for the purpose for e.g. pepperoni, sausages, salami or shredded chicken.
- Any type of cheese can work well with the recipe. If you are using cheese slices, chop them evenly into cubes.
Head on over to our IG TV for the full video recipe!