Eid is right around the corner and we recommend indulging in this traditional sweet treat. Sheer khurma is a wonderful Eid delicacy that is delicious to eat and easy to make. Serve up a bowlful to your loved ones, with scrumptious dried dates, almonds, pistachios and vermicelli. It’s a classic that is a favourite with all. Spruce up your Eid dining table with this easy recipe.
- 2 litres milk
- 1/4 cup rice (soaked overnight or for 8-10 hours)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 10- 12 dried dates (soaked overnight and cut into slivers)
- 100 grams almonds (soaked and cut into slivers)
- 200 grams pistachios (soaked)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cardamom pods
- ½ cup vermicelli
- 2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 4-5 drops kewra
- Set the milk to a boil till it acquires a slightly thick consistency.
- Add dried dates. When they are soft, add cardamom powder, almonds and pistachios.
- Cook it till all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add sugar according to taste ( approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- Cook till the sugar melts.
- Let it cook till the mixture acquires an almost custard like consistency albeit slightly thinner.
- Take the vermicelli. Temper 2 cardamoms in clarified butter (ghee), fry the vermicelli in this ghee.
- Add golden brown vermicelli to the milk.Give the milk a boil.
- Remove from flame.
- Add 4-5 drops of kewra.
Your Sheer Kurma is ready!
Here is a brief history of the historical origin of Sheer Khurma.
To make Eid even more special for your loved ones follow our wonderful Eid gift guide.