We don’t know about you, but we love party appetisers, even if there’s no party! Bite-sized food is always fun and convenient to eat and, honestly, the unhealthier, the better. That’s why these Fried Mac and Cheese Bites are one of our favourite foods. These little balls of cheesy goodness take some time to prepare, but the payoff is totally worth it!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese block or 16oz shredded
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil macaroni until tender, drain and set aside. Shred cheese and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix until light brown color (make a roux).
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk until thick.
- Add cheese one handful at a time. Mix until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix until well coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until cold.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Form cold macaroni and cheese into 1″ balls and place on prepared pan. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour (overnight works well).
- Beat eggs and add 1/4 cup milk in a bowl to make an egg wash.
- Dip mac and cheese balls into egg wash then roll into bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Heat oil in the deep fryer to 320 degrees, or fill skillet 1/2-3/4″ deep and heat over medium-high to 320 degrees.
- Fry 3-4 minutes, until golden, and drain. Serve immediately.